I've been meaning to write this for the past week and just haven't gotten around to it. Lincoln is on the other room entertaining both kiddos so I'm taking advantage of the break to finally get this thing written.
My due date was July 26. July 26 came and went-- I wasn't progressing so my doctor decided to induce me. My induction was scheduled for Monday, August 1 (at 7 pm). Once admitted to the hospital and put up in a room (in the High Risk section of the hospital-- I wasn't high risk though) I was given a medication called cervidil because I had effaced so little. I was told it would take about 12 hours to do its job and then I would be put on pitocin to induce labor/create contractions. So, I sent Lincoln home (I figured he could use a good night's sleep). Well cervidil did its job in only about 4 hours. My water broke just after 1 AM and I started to have major contractions. I called Lincoln and he was back at the hospital by 2 AM. The contractions got closer together and more and more painful.
Around 4 AM I was taken to Labor and Delivery. I told them I wanted an epidural ASAP (I had actually been telling them that for a few hours already). The nurse checked me and said I was at 8 cm. She then said something along the lines of-- "I think you are going to have to have this baby naturally." Um-- NO THANKS! The anesthesiologist was in the room minutes later prepping me for the epidural, By this time my contractions were SO painful I was worried I wouldn't be able to hold still. And, I don't know, it seems like it's probably very important to hold still when someone is giving you a shot in the spine. I prayed and sang "I am a Child of God" through the procedure. I'm not kidding, I didn't feel the epidural shot at all AND I didn't have a single contractions while he was giving me the epidural. One word-- miracle. Soon I was no longer feeling any pain (Lincoln later mentioned how drastically my mood changed in those 10-15 minutes). I was in absolute bliss the next several hours.
Just after 9 am Dr. White came in to check me and said it was time to push. I pushed through 5 contractions and Mae was out. Just like that, we are a family of four!
Saturday, August 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Halloween
Halloween might be the kids' favorite holiday. They both love dressing up in costumes and eating candy. This year Evey is a zookeeper an...
-
The kids had a four-day weekend so we packed up and headed south to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), MEX. It's a short 4-hour drive from P...
-
Maelle Nora Webb Born: August 2, 2011 9lbs 4oz and 21.75 inches minutes after birth a few hours before heading home
-
I've been meaning to write this for the past week and just haven't gotten around to it. Lincoln is on the other room entertaining bo...
7 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for your little family. Mae is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing the photos, and the story of her birth. I am glad you had a little miracle to help you through the delivery. I miss having you around, so thanks for blogging. It is great to get to see what you have been up to.
Congrats on your news family of four!! Mae is adorable and it looks like Evey is loving having a baby around. I love the name Mae! I hope that you are feeling better each day.
Gotta love those AWESOME drugs we have!! I'm so glad that everything went well and that everyone is having fun adjusting to the newest webb!
Hugs!!!
I'm so glad you escaped being drafted into the ranks of natural birthers. Talk about a close call. Anesthesiologists will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Yeah!! Congrats! SOOO glad you were able to get an epidural! Aren't families of four awesome?? =) She's a cutie!
It's amazing what a little pain relief can do for your mood! I hope you are getting some sleep and enjoying your family!
Glad you had two miracles: comfort / no contractions during that epidural AND that you got that epidural! Alesha has been denied that twice now!
Post a Comment